Snow goose is a delicious, savory bird. If you have a small gathering or smart occasion, you can celebrate your wild game with a sous vide main dish. Easy to make in advance and certain to convert even the strongest game flavor skeptic.
2 goose breasts
4 bacon rashers (strips)-chopped
1 garlic clove
2 celery sticks
1 Tbsp./15ml tomato purée
3 Tbsp./45ml brandy
1 cup/150ml port
1 1/4 cups/300ml red wine
3 3/4 cups/900ml chicken stock
1 Tbsp./15ml red pepper jelly
2/3 cup/150ml cream
1 package blueberries
1 Tbsp/15ml sugar
1 Tbsp/15ml balsamic vinegar
2 limes-grated and juiced
- Place goose breasts in bags with thyme, lemon slice, and a splash of brandy. Seal and put in sous vide pot for 3 hours at 140ºF/60ºC
- In a pan, add bacon and brown. Add in chopped onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook about 10 minutes. Add tomato purée and garlic.
- Stir in red wine, port, and brandy. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add bay leaf, thyme, and jelly. Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Make the relish by pouring blueberries in a bowl. Add sugar, lime rind, and juice, parsley, and vinegar. Stir and set aside.
- Use a hand blender to mix to desired concentration. Add cream and bring just to boiling.
- Ladle reduction into dishes and top with sliced goose and blueberry relish. Serve piping hot.