Mocha Spice Rubbed Duck with Cherry Sauce
Red wine and dark cherries are combined with fresh duck, shallots, thyme, and balsamic vinegar to make a dinner you’ll never forget. The secret to this sauce is to let it simmer until thickened.
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground coffee
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp cocoa powder
½ cup shallots, minced
¾ cup dry red wine
1 ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup dark sweet cherries, halved
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the rub ingredients together, then rub on both sides of the duck breast (Recipe contains enough rub for 4 duck breasts), let rest at least 30 minutes.
- Chop shallots and prep sauce ingredients while the duck is resting.
- Sear both sides of the duck, then put in the oven at 350°F/176.6°C to finish cooking until you reach medium rare.
- Once the duck is in the oven, put in the minced shallots, sauté quickly, and deglaze with the red wine. Add the balsamic, the cherries, and the thyme, season with salt and pepper, then let simmer until thickened.
- When the duck is done, let it rest for about five minutes. Slice and serve with the sauce over top.
Get a print button option on these recipes